February 04, 2020
CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM: Democrat Turnout Stalls as Trump Breaks Record
After the Iowa caucus, one thing is certain: Democrats’ underwhelming and lower-than-expected turnout should cause the party to really panic:
- CNN's Harry Enten: "[Turnout] was not particularly good. It’s not as strong as it was in 2008...maybe there’s a little enthusiasm problem for Democrats going forward.”
- Daily Beast's Sam Stein: "If I were a Democrat looking at this, it's not just the bureaucratic missteps, it's the fact that, where was the enthusiasm? ... It wasn't quite there last night."
- NBC's Mark Murray: "Ooof. All expectations were that [turnout] would exceed 2008."
Big warning signs for Democrats after last night!
“That [turnout] is not particularly good. It’s not as strong as it was in 2008. There’s supposed to be all this excitement…maybe there’s a little enthusiasm problem for Democrats going forward.” pic.twitter.com/h6KdZDcWQh
The media didn't report much about what happened at the Republican caucuses: President Trump and his re-election campaign put on an "ambitious show of force" in Iowa last night and broke caucus turnout records for an incumbent president.
And if last night wasn't already bad enough for Democrats, they also woke up this morning to more demoralizing news. According to a new Gallup poll, President Trump's approval rating just hit the highest level since he took office:
- 49% approve of President Trump, a new record-high due in part to a surge in support among Republicans and independents.
- 63% approve of President Trump's handling of the economy, the highest level of support for any president in nearly 20 years.
- President Trump's approval ratings on trade and foreign affairs have also hit new highs.
Additionally, thanks to President Trump's leadership, Americans' approval of the Republican Party is now higher than the Democrats and has hit the highest level since 2005.
Democrats have a socialist for a frontrunner and a lackluster field of candidates that is failing to energize voters, and they’re set to face a supercharged Republican turnout machine supporting a president who is enjoying a surge in public approval.
In short, they’re already losing.
Thank you, Iowa!— Brad Parscale - Text TRUMP to 88022 (@parscale) February 4, 2020
Record turnout for @realDonaldTrump in Iowa - most ever for an incumbent President.
Unified, energized & growing!
Contrast that with the Dems in Iowa - disarray, demoralized & confused.
Team Trump is an unstoppable juggernaut and THE BEST IS YET TO COME! pic.twitter.com/aXcoUVw08H