May 14, 2020
FACT CHECK: Governors in Joe Biden’s Roundtable Praised the Trump Administration’s Response
The evidence shows President Trump’s phenomenal response to the coronavirus worked – which is bad news for Joe Biden, who opposes states reopening despite the suffering the artificial economic shutdown is inflicting on Americans. Good news for the country is bad news for Biden, which is why he’s spent the pandemic spreading disinformation about the Trump Administration’s successful response, from ventilators to testing.
Biden’s virtual roundtable today with Governors Phil Murphy (D-NJ) and Ned Lamont (D-CT) will also feature Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI), who has been (doing a poor job of) auditioning to be Biden’s running mate from the beginning of the pandemic. She likely won’t be mentioning the help that Michigan received from the Trump Administration – just this week she left it to someone else to announce that thanks to support from President Trump, Michigan doubled its coronavirus testing capacity.
But both Gov. Lamont and Gov. Murphy have explained in no uncertain terms that the Trump Administration is helping their states boost testing capacity and providing supplies and science-based guidelines to help safely reopen:
- Gov. Murphy (May 3): "He and his team have been extremely responsive in our hour of need. Whether it was ventilators, as you rightfully point out. We got a huge amount of supplies to test. We’re getting personal protective equipment, just the other day confirmed direct to our nursing homes… in our hour of need, I have to thank the President and his team. They have been there for us.”
- Gov. Murphy (April 30): “I would call it a joint venture. We needed a significant amount of the supply chain from the administration to allow us to at least double testing in New Jersey. We got it… they’re helping us out."
- Gov. Murphy (April 30): “Whether it was ventilators, the Army Corps building out capacity, FEMA with our testing sites...you all, literally in the here and now, this week, are helping us in a big way… I would expect by the end of May, thanks to you and your team’s help, we’ll be able to at least double, and I hope more than double, our testing capabilities."
- Gov. Murphy (March 27): “We are working very well with FEMA Region 2 and with the Army Corp. of Engineers, building four field hospitals. That was a decision the President himself took, and I’m grateful for it…we’ve got a good working relationship.”
- Gov. Lamont (April 25): “We’re getting guidance from the White House COVID task force. They’ve been pretty clear about when you should open…Their guidance has been helpful, but then they leave it up to the governors which I think is appropriate.”
- Gov. Lamont (May 12): “I am confident. We have doubled the amount of testing in the last week. We're going to double it again in the next week…May 20th was oriented around making sure we have the protective gear in place, the testing in place, and the track and trace. We’re ready to go.”
President Trump understands that millions of Americans are living day-to-day and week-to-week to get through this artificial interruption in the economy. That’s why his administration is working around the clock to get the states the resources and guidelines they need to boost testing, safely reopen, and get America’s economy moving again.
President Trump Tours Pennsylvania Business Tasked to Help Rebuild the Strategic National Stockpile Neglected by the Obama/Biden Administration
Stacey Abrams, ‘Me Too’ Hypocrite