August 22, 2020
FACT CHECK: Joe Biden Cut Police Funding As VP and Said He Will Do It Again
Biden is an empty vessel for the radical left and fully embraced their dangerous agenda. Biden said he would “yes, absolutely!” “redirect” funding away from police to other things like housing. Moreover, the Biden-Sanders unity platform’s proposed destruction of qualified immunity for police would financially eviscerate local police departments even further, effectively bankrupting and destroying them.
No amount of synonym games will change the facts. Further, Joe Biden already cut police funding as Vice President:
- Despite Biden’s promise in 2008 to fully fund the COPS program, the Obama-Biden administration slashed funding. COPS funding went from $1.55 billion to $792 million. At the time, police groups protested the Obama-Biden cuts, calling the funding reductions “simply irresponsible.”
- Federal aid to state and local law enforcement fell during the Obama-Biden Administration. Total federal grants to state and local governments from the Justice Department were cut by $833 million.
Joe Biden broke his promise and cut police funding when he was Vice President. If he’s elected president, he will do it again.
In stark contrast to Biden’s abandonment of law enforcement, the Trump Administration increased federal aid to police:
- Under the Trump Administration, total Justice Department grants to the states for justice functions have increased by nearly $4 billion.
- Total federal grants to state and local law enforcement, including non-Justice Department programs, increased under President Trump after falling under the Obama Administration.
- Under President Trump, COPS funding increased to $276 million in 2018 and $304 million in 2019, the highest levels since fiscal year 2011.
President Trump’s strong record of support for the law enforcement community has won him endorsements from major law enforcement organizations. They recognize the threat posed to them by the radical left agenda supported by Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
Trump Campaign Launches Thirteen New Coalitions as President Trump Delivers Success for All Americans, Regardless of Background
Team Trump Online: Kamala Harris Lies for Political Advancement, President Trump Keeps His Promises to the American People