DONALD J. TRUMP’S VISION
- Ensure our veterans get the care they need wherever and whenever they need it. No more long drives. No more waiting backlogs. No more excessive red tape. Just the care and support they earned with their service to our country.
- Support the whole veteran, not just their physical health care, but also by addressing their invisible wounds, investing in our service members' post-active duty success, transforming the VA to meet the needs of 21st century service members, and better meeting the needs of our female veterans.
- Make the VA great again by firing the corrupt and incompetent VA executives who let our veterans down, by modernizing the VA, and by empowering the doctors and nurses to ensure our veterans receive the best care available in a timely manner.
Donald J. Trump's 10 Point Plan to Reform The Department of Veterans Affairs
1. Appoint a VA Secretary whose sole purpose will be to serve veterans. Under a Trump Administration, the needs of D.C. bureaucrats will no longer be placed above those of our veterans.
2. Use the powers of the presidency to remove and discipline the federal employees and managers who have violated the public's trust and failed to carry out the duties on behalf of our veterans.
3. Ask that Congress pass legislation that empowers the Secretary of the VA to discipline or terminate any employee who has jeopardized the health, safety or well-being of a veteran.
4. Create a commission to investigate all the fraud, cover-ups, and wrong-doing that has taken place in the VA, and present these findings to Congress for to spur legislative reform.
5. Protect and promote honest employees at the VA who highlight wrongdoing, and guarantee their jobs will be protected.
6. Create a private White House hotline, which will be active 24 hours a day answered by a real person. It will be devoted to answering veteran's complaints of wrongdoing at the VA and ensure no complaints fall through the cracks.
7. Stop giving bonuses to any VA employees who are wasting money, and start rewarding employees who seek to improve the VA's service, cut waste, and save lives.
8. Reform the visa system to ensure veterans are at the front of the line for health services, not the back.
9. Increase the number of mental health care professionals, and allow veteran's to be able to seek mental health care outside of the VA.
10. Ensure every veteran has the choice to seek care at the VA or at a private service provider of their own choice. Under a Trump Administration, no veteran will die waiting for service.
Read More on Donald J. Trump’s 10 Point Plan to Reform The Department of Veterans Affairs, here.
- IG Report: 300,000 Vets Died While Waiting For Health Care At VA. [Fox News, Sept. 3, 2015]
- Wait Lists Grow as Many More Veterans Seek Care and Funding Falls Far Short. [The New York Times, June 20, 2015]
- Hundreds Of Appointment Wait Times Manipulated At Texas VA Facilities. [Associated Press, June 21, 2016]
- A Fatal Wait: Veterans Languish And Die On A VA Hospital's Secret List. [CNN, April 23, 2014]
- Report Finds Sharp Increase In Veterans Denied V.A. Benefits. [The New York Times, March 20, 2016]
- Veterans Affairs Improperly Spent $6 Billion Annually, Senior Official Says. [The Washington Post, May 14, 2015]
- U.S. Veterans Commit Suicide At Rate Of 20 A Day, VA Says. [The Wall Street Journal, July 7, 2016]
- White House Review Of Veterans Administration Finds 'Corrosive Culture.' [Reuters, June 27, 2014]
- Few People Lost Jobs With V.A. in Scandal. [The New York Times, April 22, 2015]
- Veterans Affairs Pays $142 Million In Bonuses Amid Scandals. [USA Today, May 22, 2014]
- VA Hasn't Fixed Wait-time Problems, GAO Finds. [USA Today, April 18, 2016]
CONTRAST WITH HILLARY CLINTON
- Hillary Clinton Praised the Obama Administration for Its Handling of the VA Scandal. [Donald J. Trump Press Release, Sept. 7, 2016]
- Hillary Clinton Offensively Downplayed VA’s Problems. [Donald J. Trump Press Release, Sept. 7, 2016]
- Hillary Clinton Refused to Apologize for Insulting Our Veterans Through Her Defense of the Corrupt VA. [The Wall Street Journal, Oct. 28, 2015]
- The Chairman of the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee Recently Said Hillary Clinton Would Abandon VA Reforms. [Military Times, July 20, 2016]